So to read Bree's last post would give you every indication that we are about to head back to Texas for good. Yesterday we had a regularly scheduled appointment with a home health nurse to change Nathanael's central line dressings and caps. As Bree mentioned, it was a doozy replete with multiple vomiting episodes by Nathanael. When the appointment was over, the nurse coordinator asked Bree to bring him in just so they could be sure everything was OK. They went in at 1:00 and were released to come home at around 8:00.
Bree got home and I, trying to be the good husband as well as finding an excuse to do what I wanted, left to procure some ice cream for her, for her I said. I got home. Bree had changed into her pj's and everything was pointing towards a relaxing evening where we'd watch a little basketball and then get some much needed sleep.
In preparation for giving Nathanael his evening medications, Bree took his temperature. For the first time in his life, Nathanael had a fever. The thermometer read 38.5 Celsius. We checked it again and it was 38.3. He had a fever. Now, for any other child, this isn't that big of a deal. Give some Tylenol, stay on top of it. For a child who's recently had a bone marrow transplant, it's cause to call the doctor and go into the hospital. So, at 10:00 at night, Bree packed up Nathanael and took him in and that is where they are right now. He's receiving antibiotics as well as a transfusion of packed red cells because his hemoglobin is low which isn't as big of a deal as it might sound.
I don't have any idea when they might be released. I also have no idea how this will impact their coming home. If I had to guess, I'd say it postpones it a week but who knows. The good news is that he hasn't registered a fever in the hospital so maybe he started to come down with something and his immune system dealt with it. That would end up being great news. Please pray. We love Cincinnati but we desperately want to get back to Texas.